Bicycling at Sandbanks

Bicycling at Sandbanks
Sandbanks Cycling

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Oastler is for Anyone



Camping as a couple?  This was a first. We chose to spend 4 nights as Lake Oastler on The Point.
Originally I was going to title this post 'Oastler is for lovers' ...seemed appropro as we were without the kids for the first time in YEARS.... apparently its not, Oastler is for All ... At the time we went, it could have read 'Oastler is for kids'. great.

So we are childless for the first time in YEARS.... who should set up camp right across from us? A group of 5 parents and what seemed like 10 kids!!!!
They took 3 sites across from us- that's a lot considering there are only approx 5 spots on each side of 'The Point'. As soon as I saw a pile of what seemed like 10 kids bicycles carelessly left in the pathway... I wanted to pack up and go right there and then. I wanted a refund. I wanted to harm those selfish parents...for ruining EVERYTHING!!!! (we have an axe)
But I didn't. I controlled my RAGE...
It wasn't THAT bad actually.
not really
We just spent most of our time at the spot at the bottom of our site by the water... as far away from those kids as possible

Anyway....
We had a site on the point (209) but on the opposite side that we usually have.
Not as sunny but the point offers water access and we had a private little spot down by the lake. We kept 2 chairs there and had a perfect view of people brave enough jumping from the big rocks/ cliff into the lake. That was our major channel...'the show' as we called it, otherwise we would watch a heron look for fish or read our books.
We rented a canoe which we would leave at our spot by the water (pull up onto the grass), and use as we pleased. Its nice to canoe over to the restaurant across the lake.
I forgot how loud the trains are at Oastler!
Lake Oastler is known for its 'rich railroad heritage'. I personally quite like this funny aspect of staying at a park where a railroad runs through... I can sleep through them but they come every half hour at some point in the late afternoon and the whistle is pretty loud then the sound of the wheels against the rails goes on for some time- then another whistle etc...
not for some folk but doesn't bother me like motor boats do!
The Point is so beautiful that its all worthwhile.







No comments: